Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Helper

help
transitive verb
1: to give assistance or support to
2 : to make more pleasant or bearable : improve, relieve
3 : a : to be of use to : benefit
b : to further the advancement of : promote

Helping has been a recurring theme the past few months.
I work two jobs that are both 90% meeting needs on an individual basis.
When I came home, I realized I'd formed a habit of asking
Do you need anything?
Would you like me to...?
Are you hungry?
Do you need an extra napkin?
etc. etc.
1 : to give assistance or support to

Honestly, volunteering to help has a good effect on people. Seems like a no brainer, right?
Still. It works wonders. It's changed how I deal with people closest to me.
2 : to make more pleasant or bearable : improve, relieve

Finding places to help is the key.
Granted, everyone wants a hand when they're juggling sixty different things, but not everyone wants help organizing, advice, and so on.
Help is individual.
It's situational.
It's spur of the moment.
It's planned.
It is versatile.
3: a : to be of use to

Lastly, our help must be beneficial and encouraging.
It's good or it's not.
It helps or it doesn't.
It's loving or it's not.
It matures or breaks down.
It's good-willed or cynical.
3 : b : to further the advancement of : promote

After all this, join me in making an intentional effort to be useful and helpful!

No comments: