Sunday, September 25, 2011

There are so many things I've wanted to say, scream, sing, the last two months. Now I'm trying to bring it down to a couple paragraphs so I can make my brain focus enough to get back to homework.

Five years ago...
...I'd only worked a minimum wage job.
...my mom had cancer.
...Pluto was deplaneted.
...Mates of State made me dance like crazy.
...I'd never had a real boyfriend.
...the fate of the Jena Six was undecided.
...I thought I'd become a photographer.
...college was an afterthought.
...I was getting ready to go to Mexico for the second time.
...my hair looked exactly the same as it does now.

Well, some things never change. Some things do.

As scared as I am of tomorrow and letting go of the past, I keep coming back to what Herb (my 87-year-old fly fishing instructor) said yesterday, "Well, if nothing's working, you've got to change one thing at a time until it does."

If I become just a wince-causing name to you, it's ok.
If I become a friend, it's ok.
If I become the receiving end of a flip off, it's ok.
If I become your other half, it's ok.
If it all crumbles away, it's ok.

Give me my God and my hope and it's ok.
It is well with my soul.

1 comment:

Caitie Davis said...

It's taking me forever to read this, but I loved it. I wish I got to talk to you more and actually hang out with you. Texas needs more people like you :)